Albufeira is one of the most popular holiday destinations in the Portuguese Algarve. Why? The beaches in Albufeira are beautiful!
The most beautiful beaches in Albufeira
The coast at Albufeira is quite rocky and therefore you do not have one long beach at Albufeira, but several smaller beaches. The beaches in Albufeira are great for sunbathing, but you can also take beautiful walks. In this article you’ll read all about the most beautiful beaches in Albufeira.
Praia do Túnel
Praia do Túnel is probably one of the most crowded beaches in Albufeira, since it is located right next to Albufeira Old Town. You get there through a tunnel (hence the name). There is also an elevator in the corner of the beach, so if you don’t feel like walking up or down all those stairs, you can just take the elevator.
Praia dos Alemães
If you walk east from Praia do Túnel, you will end up at Praia dos Alemães at the very end. As far as I am concerned, this is one of the nicer beaches in Albufeira. Few buildings, beautiful rocks and you can find a lot of beautiful shells here.
Praia da Oura
Praia da Oura beach is at the end of Albufeira’s infamous bar strip. It can get a little crowded here (there are many sunbeds ready for you), but it still is a beautiful beach with large rocks.
Praia da Oura Leste
Praia da Oura Leste is perhaps the most peaceful beach in Albufeira. You can get here by walking east from Praia da Oura, through the rocks. You can even walk under a stone arch. There is a beach pavilion on the first part, but the further you walk east, the less people you see and the more beautiful it gets. There is even a beautiful nature reserve behind this beach, the landscape reminded me of the national parks in Utah (US).
At the very eastern point of this beach you also have Pedra dos Bicos. Here you see a lot of stacks of stones. A beautiful sight!
Praia Santa Eulália & Praia da Balaia
Praia Santa Eulália and Praia da Balaia are two beaches located in a quiet part of Albufeira. There is a large luxury hotel on the beach, but otherwise it is not that busy. This is another beautiful beach with impressive rocks. From here you can see Ponta do Arco, a large rock in the sea.
Praia dos Arrifes
Praia dos Arrifes is a small beach to the west of Albufeira Old Town. It is quite difficult to get here. It’s a 45 minute walk from Old Town, so it’s a lot easier to get there if you have a car (there is a parking lot near the beach). It is absolutely worth seeking out this beach as it is beautiful! Right in front of the beach are a few huge rocks and you can see the waves breaking into them. You can relax here for a few hours or eat at the restaurant that is also located in the bay.
What to bring to the beach in Albufeira?
Do you want to discover the beautiful beaches of Albufeira yourself? Don’t forget to take the following things with you:
- A beach towel or hammam towel to lie on (or to dry off after a refreshing dip in the sea)
- Sunscreen (preferably with a high factor, the sun can be very bright in the Algarve)
- A cap or hat
- Flip flops
- A bottle of water (in this bottle your water will stay cool for up to 24 hours)
How do you get to Albufeira?
The nearest airport for a holiday in Albufeira is Faro. Various airlines fly here daily from several large cities in Europe. If you plan to travel from The Netherlands, one of the most trusted airlines is Transavia. They fly from various Dutch cities (including Eindhoven and Rotterdam) to Faro. The easiest way to book tickets is directly with Transavia. If you don’t fly from The Netherlands to Faro, it’s best to use Skyscanner for a comparison of all prices and flight times .
Where to stay in Albufeira?
Albufeira is bursting with accommodations, there are so many options! From basic apartments to luxury hotels, it’s there. I myself booked all my accommodations in Albufeira through Booking.com and Airbnb.
I myself stayed in these apartments in Albufeira, each of which I can recommend:
- My sweet home : perfect apartment for 1 or 2 people. With swimming pool and close to the strip and about 15 minutes walk to Praia da Oura. Can be booked through Booking.com and Airbnb.
- Apartment Cardoso 3 : small but nice apartment for 1 or 2 people. Large balcony, great location in the heart of Albufeira Old Town and 5 minutes walk from Praia do Túnel. Can be booked through Booking.com and Airbnb.
TIP Have you never booked through Airbnb? Then use this link for a big discount on your first booking.
Albufeira package holidays
Do you not feel like selecting and booking your travel, transport, and accommodation separately? Various travel providers in The Netherlands offer good package holidays to Albufeira. Book your holiday to Albufeira for example via trustworthy companies like De Vakantiediscounter, TUI, or KRAS.
What else can you do in Albufeira?
Besides discovering the beautiful beaches in Albufeira, there are more things to do during a holiday in Albufeira. A few examples:
- Wander through Albufeira Old Town for a day: narrow streets, beautiful views, and many nice restaurants with a great view.
- Discover the area with a tour. Many fun tours are organized from Albufeira, for example you can take a boat trip to the beautiful Benagil caves and maybe you even see some dolphins!
- Spend a night out on the strip. Albufeira is also a destination for many people to enjoy dancing. You can do that every night on the Albufeira bar strip.
- From Albufeira, spend a day in the beautiful city of Faro.
Want to read more about the Algarve & Portugal?
Then order one of these great travel guides:
Algarve Travel Guide: 54 Cities/Towns/Villages
Or read one of the articles: