You’ve probably heard something about VPNs. I can highly recommend using a VPN for travel. In this article, I’ll tell you why and how to use a VPN for travel.
What is a VPN?
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a network you can use so you can safely use the internet through public networks.
Why should you use a VPN for travel?
There are five reasons for using a VPN while traveling:
1. Your connection is safe on public networks
When you’re traveling, you’ll find wifi everywhere, mostly in public places. Like coffee shops, airports, and hotels. Those public networks aren’t always that safe, so to protect your data, it’s recommended to use a VPN while you’re connected to those networks.
2. Your data is safe
When you use a VPN, it will be harder for hackers to get to your files and your browsing history. Think about it, how often do you use a credit card online, while booking a tour or a hotel room? You really don’t want to get your credit card info stolen!
3. You can access websites that are blocked in certain countries
Some websites are blocked in certain countries. You might have heard about it in China, where you won’t be able to use Whatsapp, Facebook, and Google (not even Gmail!). When you use a VPN, you can access those websites. When you activate the VPN, you can tell it to make it look like you’re accessing the website from a different country. And if that website isn’t blocked from that country, you can access it.
4. Flights & accommodations might be cheaper when you use a VPN
If you’re using a VPN, you can access websites from countries. Prices of plane tickets and hotel rooms are sometimes different in other countries. So it might be a good idea to compare prices by using a VPN. You never know if you can find a better deal!
5. You can keep on watching your favorite tv shows
A lot of streaming content is blocked when you travel abroad because the network doesn’t have the rights to broadcast in every country. This is very common with Netflix, not every tv show is available in every country (with the exception of Netflix originals). If you use a good VPN, you might be able to change the country and keep on streaming your favorite show.
Which VPN should you pick?
When you Google VPNs, there are so many! At first, I had problems picking one myself. I started looking for free VPNs, but I soon discovered that that has a lot of restrictions. When you sign up for a free VPN, most of the time there’s a very limited restriction on data usage, so you probably won’t even have the change to send large files or watch a video. Another restriction that’s common with a free VPN is that you only will be able to use it for one device. I tend to use my phone and laptop often when I travel, so I prefer to have a working VPN on both.
Because of these reasons, I switched from a free VPN to a paid service. I’ve tried two:
– Goose VPN. This is a VPN from a Dutch company and very easy to use. You can choose from three different subscriptions: a month, a year, and two years. The longer the subscription lasts, the cheaper it will get. Unfortunately, I found the connection with Goose VPN not that fast, so I made a switch to:
– Nord VPN. This is one of the best and most well-known VPNs in the world. It is also very easy to use. It’s a little more expensive than GooseVPN, but it’s definitely worth the price. NordVPN has fast connections and you can choose networks from all over the world. If you sign up now, you’ll get a great discount.
How does it work?
When you subscribed, you can download a program on your laptop (or an app on your phone). After logging in, you can just click on the country you’d like to start a connection from. It’ll take a couple of seconds to connect, but once connected, you’ll be able to browse the internet safely. Easy, right?
Do you use a VPN for travel?
More travel tips?
Did you like this article and would like to read some more? Check out these articles:
– Where to next? 10 tips to pick your next travel destination
– Travel mistakes I don’t want to make anymore
– Relax while traveling: this is how you do it!